[protege-owl] online SPARQL query tool

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 27 18:41:52 PDT 2009

babar shahzad wrote:
> thanX a lot Tania,
>
> I will be thankful to you if you could kindly answer my other un answered queries about retrievig individuals & owl api, I am in more need  of their answers.

Can you please repost that question? I cannot find it.

> Can you kindly refer me specifically what syntax of SPARQL is compatible to 3.4, some source/guide about that if available.

Protege supports the SPARQL syntax as it is. The "FROM" part will
probably not work. Here is some more info:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/sparql/

> thanks about Allegrograph suggestion. can you be kind enough to remove my confusion about inferencing question like when we move ontology from owl to rdf....

SPARQL will give you very good answers for RDF models. For example, it
is easy to ask the values of a property of an individual. However,
SPARQL will give you the asserted statements, and not the inferred ones
(at least the Protege implementation). For instance, if you classify
your ontology, and new types are inferred for your individual, and you
will ask for the rdf:type of the individual, you will only get the
asserted ones, not the inferred. Another issue with SPARQL in OWL is
that you have to formulate a query at the RDF level and this can be very
messy for certain OWL expressions. SPARQL is perfect for RDF, but for
OWL models it is much better to use a OWL reasoner, which understands
the OWL semantics and will give you all the right answers for a query.

You could take a look at the DL Query Tab in Protege 4 which uses a OWL
reasoner for answering the queries:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/DLQueryTab

Another option is to use SQWRL which is more powerful for OWL than SPARQL:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SQWRL

Tania