[protege-owl] SWRL execution in protege 3.4

Pallinger Péter pallinger at dsd.sztaki.hu
Mon Mar 30 07:05:34 PDT 2009

Thank you for the fast reply!

Michael Lodemann írta:
>> Class_1(?x) -> Class_2(?x)
>> I could create the rule, but I failed to execute it (of course, I
>> created both classes,
>> and added an individual belonging to Class_1). Is there a special menu
>> item to do this?
>> Is it possible at all?
> What kind of error shows up?
There is no error message, it just doesn't do anything.
I would think that because pellet is built-in, and pellet supports SWRL (that very
simple part that I have used for sure), it should automatically infer classification
based on the rules I give.

> Did you install the Jess rule engine within
> the SWRLTab? Perhaps this link helps you:
> http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLJessTab
I have tried that now.
It is better than nothing, but I have some problems with it:
 1. The result of Jess'es inference appear as _asserted_ individuals. Although this may
be acceptable for small ontologies for testing out a small number of rules, it is not
acceptable for larger ontologies where one may not know all instances and classes by
heart and may not remember all previous assertions.
 2. There is an import-run-export procedure involved which is somewhat cumbersome.
 3. Jess is a proprietary solution whereas the already included open-source pellet is
available to do most SWRL inference. Why not use that?

>> In protégé 4 (Version 4.0.109), both pellet 2 and pellet 1.5 manage to
>> infer that the
>> given individual indeed belongs to Class_2, but I cannot edit SWRL
>> rules in protégé 4.
>> Is that really so, or just I am clumsy?
> As far as I know protege 4 doesn't support SWRL rules yet. You must use
> protege 3.4 in order to execute SWRL rules.
On the contrary! If you would have read the passage above, you would know that I
actually succeeded in _executing_ SWRL rules in Protégé 4.0 using both pellet 1.5 and
2.0 (not at the same time, of course :) ). The only thing I miss from Protégé 4.0 is an
SWRL editor (preferably using SWRL abstract syntax).

I am still somewhat stuck, as SWRLJessTab is not a really good solution for SWRL
inference in Protégé 3.4.

Thanks in advance for any help.

	PP