[protege-owl] storing an ontology in RDF/XML format

Tania Tudorache tudorache at
Mon Mar 30 17:10:32 PDT 2009

If you use the "Pure RDF Schema without OWL" profile when you create a
new ontology in Protege, the editor will create rdfs:Classes rather than
owl:Classes. When you save the file, you can name it "example.rdf".
Protege will add a owl:Ontology statement at the beginning of the file,
which is OWL specific. You can delete that statement in a text editor
and then you get a more or less "pure" RDF file.

Even if you do not remove that statement, I am pretty sure that other
RDF tools will be able to work fine with the file.