[protege-owl] data property restrictions

Amy Guthormsen aguthorm at lanl.gov
Tue Mar 31 08:34:38 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm relatively new to ontologies, but I have gone through the pizza
tutorial pretty thoroughly, using Protege 4.0.  There's one thing I
can't figure out.  I'm not sure whether I should frame the problem as
a conceptual one (about what sort of thing belongs in an ontology and
in what capacity) or a technical one (in this case, how to use the
data range editor).  Therefor I'll explain what I'm trying to do, and
welcome responses on either level.

I'm working on representing a property that can take a value from a
list of specific strings.  I can set up a data property to restrict
values to a type of data (e.g. string, integer, etc).  But I can't
figure out how to capture the idea that the range of a data property
should be restricted to a few predefined strings.  It seems to me like
the data range editor would be the place to do this.  Although I can
type things into the editor, unlike other similar editors it does not
react to what I type, nor does it save contents when I hit the ok
button.  One alternative that I have considered is to set up my
property as an enumeration class, similar to the way that the pizza
tutorial creates a  country class and restricts it to the values of
specific individual countries.  However, in that case the idea is that
the class country includes specific individuals.  My enumeration
values are not individuals, but rather properties that individuals in
the referencing class might have.  As these properties have no class
status of their own, it seems like they would be data properties.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Amy Guthormsen