[protege-owl] data property restrictions

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Tue Mar 31 13:03:54 PDT 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 8:34 AM, Amy Guthormsen wrote:

> I'm working on representing a property that can take a value from a
> list of specific strings.  I can set up a data property to restrict
> values to a type of data (e.g. string, integer, etc).  But I can't
> figure out how to capture the idea that the range of a data property
> should be restricted to a few predefined strings.  It seems to me like
> the data range editor would be the place to do this.  Although I can
> type things into the editor, unlike other similar editors it does not
> react to what I type, nor does it save contents when I hit the ok
> button.  One alternative that I have considered is to set up my
> property as an enumeration class, similar to the way that the pizza
> tutorial creates a  country class and restricts it to the values of
> specific individual countries.  However, in that case the idea is that
> the class country includes specific individuals.  My enumeration
> values are not individuals, but rather properties that individuals in
> the referencing class might have.  As these properties have no class
> status of their own, it seems like they would be data properties.

Actually, the range of the property can be viewed as a (datatype)
class, and then the individuals that are in the range would be
individual strings, of the xsd:string class.

So you can use the same mechanism, since OWL allows you to restrict
datatypes using annotations.
  http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#EnumeratedDatatype