[protege-owl] config for handling big ontologies

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 10 07:53:52 PDT 2009

Hi Ronald,

This is an interesting set of challenges.  I have been thinking about
them for a few days.  Much of what you are describing sounds like web
protege.  It is currently actively being developed and an early
version exists here [1].  It uses a thin client. It gets information
about an ontology as it is needed.  One might think that retrieving
parts of the ontology on an as-needed basis would lead to performance
problems.  If the connection to the server is slow then the client
will have to wait. But the underlying technology is highly
asynchronous.  This means that the user experience will not hang
because of a single rpc call.  Tania tells me that the user experience
is good even with high latency.  This has been much harder to achieve
with the Protege 3 client-server where a single rpc can stall the
client.

We are also looking at creating servers that provide something like
dynamic svn-like access to ontologies.  I have also been thinking that
this could be integrated with web-protege and incremental inference.
The incremental inference work has already been done by Clark-Parsia
and is being used (with the NCI Protege client-server) by NCI.  If we
combine these technologies we might get something like what you are
describing.

But this is all still just vision.  I have been picking off some of
the pieces of this but there is a lot more work to go.

-Timothy

[1] http://bmir-protege-dev1.stanford.edu/webprotege/