[protege-owl] Example Rule

Matthew Horridge matthew.horridge at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Sep 24 01:36:22 PDT 2009

Hi Antonis,

I have attached a small ontology that shows you the kinds of things
you can do with user defined numeric ranges in OWL 2.  Open it in
Protege 4 and then use a reasoner e.g. FaCT++, Pellet or HermiT to
classify the ontology.  You should notice that individuals no1 and no2
get inferred to be instances for some classes (based on the
definitions of these classes and the peoperties of no1 and no2).
Also, you get inferred subsumptions between classes based on numeric
ranges, for example, VeryFastVehicle is inferred to be a subclass of
FastVehicle.

The one place were you would need some kinds of rules is to do
calculations.  For example if you wanted to work out acceleration from
horse power and mass, but you already have this encoded in the
ontology anyway.

Cheers,

Matthew