[protege-owl] Execution time of a SWRL rule or query

William Fitzgerald wfitzgerald at 4c.ucc.ie
Thu Apr 1 11:19:34 PDT 2010

Hi Martin, Raj,

Rule Execution:
+++++++++++++++
I wanted to be able to click on a single rule (or query) and run it to see how long it would take.
In this case, I would create only one swrl rule to overcome what Martin mentioned in his email.

I would also like to click on/activate a bunch of rules (or query's) so that all get executed to see
how long it takes.

I want to get a sense for the performance. For example, does executing a particular rule across say
100 ontology instances have much of a delay compared to running the same rule/rules over 10 instances.

Similarly, I would like to compare the "deep-swrl-rule inspection of instances" for want of a better
phrase. For example, an instance may have ten property relationships. Perhaps a swrl rule that
examines all properties for each instance might grow exponentially compared to only examining 2 of them.

I was hoping there was some hidden log files in protege that recorded this info.

Adding Timers:
++++++++++++++
You might have seen my previous email regarding my eclipse swrl woes.
I was thinking I could add crude timers (seconds rather than micro second intervals) into the SWRL
code somewhere (I am not sure yet where) to provide some crude sense of the practicality of using
SWRL (which ultimately relies on the performance of jess).

For example:
final long startTime = System.nanoTime(); //does not have to be this granular!
final long endTime;
try {
  someSWRLMethodToTime();
} finally {
  endTime = System.nanoTime();
}
final long duration = endTime - startTime;

I'm having no luck getting the SWRLTab to work in eclipse even though the jess.jar is in the
classpath. I am now going to try and install windows XP or Vista as a virtual machine and try doing
it in this environment as perhaps the Ubuntu environment is some how defective.

Last resort:
Use a stop watch and manually time from when I press the SWRL rule button to the time the results
are dumped back out. Much more crude than adding the timer to SWRL code I referred to above, but
none the less, it would provide me with some sort of results ;-)

All comments are welcome,
Will.