[protege-owl] regarding open source inference engine to run SWRL rules

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 5 10:36:46 PDT 2010

venkata krishna wrote:
> 1. Does SWRLTab allow any Inference engine other than JESS?
> 2 Through Protege API, can i use any open source inference engine to
> run SWRL rules?
Pellet 2.0+ now has full SWRL support, including the core built-ins.
Hermit also supports SWRL. You can use both in Protege 4. Hermit is not
supported in Protege 3, however, and the version of Pellet that is
supported (1.5) does not include built-ins. Neither will allow the use
of the custom built-in libraries defined by the SWRLTab.
> 3. I heared that "Drools version of SWRL" is on the way. It means
> whether user need to write rules in Drools format (OR) SWRL rules will
> be converted into Drools format and then they will be processed?
Like the Jess implementation, the details of Drools will be invisible to
SWRLTab users.
> 4. Can i have any example program with protege-API for OWL-DL ,
> SWRL, and using any open source Inference Engine to run SWRL rules?
See above.
> 5. Can i have the reasoning capability, decidability and other
> comparisions between (a) Protege(OWL-DL+SWRL)   Vs  (b) Drools? (both
> advantages and limitations)
I don't know what this question means.

Martin