[protege-owl] SWRL editor

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Sat Apr 10 22:20:14 PDT 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Rodolfo Rieckhof wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> is it possible to write a rule like the following using Protege?
> Artist(?x) & (≤1 artistStyle)(?x) & creator(?z,?x) ⇒ (≤1 style/period)(?z)
>
> When affirmative how ? When not which tool would you employ to do this?

This won't help with your immediate problem, but I would point out that any inference using maximum cardinality constraints in OWL will run into problems with open world semantics.  That means that even after you write this rule, it will not fire in circumstances where you think it should.  That is because you will have to make sure there is a closure assertion about the artistStyle property fillers.  Just counting the current fillers won't allow you to prove that there aren't some other, not yet known fillers.  And the possible existence of these unknown fillers will stop the inference.