[protege-owl] Using PROMPT from own application

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 13 08:16:13 PDT 2010

On 04/13/2010 06:48 AM, Maria Mitina wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> i am new to Protege and feeling a bit lost regarding
> the use of plugins.
> In my task i need to compare two ontologies from my own
> application in java.
> I found out that the results of comparosin by PROMPT are
> very close to what i
> need. But i cannot find any information on how to access
> PROMPT from my programme.

This type of thing has been done many times before (not with PROMPT but
with Protege plugins in general).  The usual approach is to ignore the
Protege plugin mechanism and simply make sure that all the needed jar
files are on your classpath.  The main tab of prompt is defined by the
wiki and is

    edu/stanford/smi/protegex/prompt/PromptTab.class

If you don't want to use the main tab then you will need to tell us more
and we will see if we can find the right entry point.

One issue with this use of prompt is that almost all its state is in
static variables. This means that it is awkward to have more than one
prompt run in the same jvm.  This is not insurmountable though - it may
be possible to clear the prompt state and if not there is a trick that
you can use involving class loaders.

> Do i need to use Protege-OWL API? Or is there the way to
> access PROMPT directly
> from java application sourcing pathes to my ontologies only?

If you are working with owl files then protege-owl.jar library will have
to be on the classpath.  You will also need to figure out some way of
to simply load the pprj files.

-Timothy