[protege-owl] SKOS labels, annotation vs datatype properties

Daniel Isemann isemandi at cs.tcd.ie
Wed Apr 14 11:10:58 PDT 2010

Hi all,

despite a few somewhat related posts in the archive I couldn't find a
satisfactory answer to this:

Why do SKOS label annotations take on a double life as datatye
properties in Protege (version 4.1.0.102)?

I have an ontology with individuals and would like to assign labels to
some individuals (preferred and alternative and in different languages).
So I open or import skos-dl [1],  create an individual annotation and
save. So far everything is fine in the GUI and in the serialization.
Now, I re-open the file and my annotation property is displayed as a
datatype property in the GUI and no longer as an annotation property.
Finally I modify the ontology and save it again and then my annotation
is also serialized as annotation and as datatype property. The same
thing does not happen with the "inbuilt" annotation properties (rdfs,
dc...).

Is it a bug? Is it a feature?

Thanks for your help,
Daniel