[protege-owl] Catalog of Ontology Modeling Issues

Michael F Uschold uschold at
Wed Apr 14 14:35:03 PDT 2010

 * *
Dear Ontology Engineers*,

*Please forward this message to any other list that discusses ontology
modeling issues.

*WHAT: *We invite your participation in collecting and sharing ontology
modeling issues <> and
solutions on the Ontology Design Pattern
(ODP Wiki)

WHY: *There is a ton of content about ontology modeling issues in discussion
list archives, BUT:

   1. the same issues get discussed over and over on different lists;
   2. the information you want is hard to find;
   3. if you do find a relevant thread,
      1. the content is raw and hard to digest;
      2. the summary you want is hard to find, even it is there.
   4. there is no agreed place to go to find out about modeling issues;
   5. it is often easier just to ask the question again, and the cycle

We have created the * ontology modeling
* section in the ODP Wiki <> to
address these problems.

*HOW:  *We envision the following steps in the evolution of a modeling

   1. Lively discussion happens on some mailing list.
   2. Post a summary to the list of the key points raised, including the
   pros and cons of proposed solutions.
   3. Post a modeling issue on the ODP Wiki (based on that summary).
   4. Post a note to any relevant discussion lists inviting them to
   contribute to the Wiki.
   5. Discuss and refine the issue further in the ODP Wiki
   6. Post major updates back to relevant discussion lists.

OR, start with step 3, and post the modeling issue directly on the ODP Wiki.

**To  Contribute:*

   1. Visit *Ontology Design Patterns Wiki*<>
   2. Click the "*How to
register*<>" link
   lower left of the page; follow instructions to get a login name and
   3. Visit the
   *Ontology Modeling
   *" page for further information,examples and instructions.

Examples: *(from discussion lists)

   1. Proliferation of URIs, Managing
   2. Overloading owl
   3. Versioning and
   4. Representing
   5. Using SKOS
   6. Resource multiple

The above issues were ones that I found by pouring over all the threads in
the linking open data list from December 2009, plus some that I was directly
involved from 2008.  There are many others to be found from many other

This work was originally supported by the NeOn

Thanks very much,