[protege-owl] SKOS labels, annotation vs datatype properties

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 14 14:43:53 PDT 2010

I have replicated this but I don't understand what is wrong.  It appears
that we have the same behavior in the OWL api so I am going to move this
question to the owl api mailing list.

There is one tricky item about this example that is apparently unrelated
to the bug.  To get this import just right in Protege 4 you need to do
the import in a special way.  In the Protege 4 import wizard you select
"Import an ontology contained in a document located on the web".   I
suspect this is exactly what you did.  In the next screen you need to
make sure that "Manually specify import declarations" is checked.  By
checking this you ensure that on the next page you have a choice  about
how the import is performed.  Select "Import using the supplied physical
URI (Not Recommended)".  Is this how you did the import?  If you don't
do this the import  will be recorded as importing

    http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core

and your ontology will load the non-owl dl version after you save it and
reload.

Actually this happens in part because it appears that the skos ontology
is inconsistent with the OWL 2 specifications.  There it says that

    If an ontology has an ontology IRI but no version IRI, then a different ontology with the same ontology IRI but no version IRI  /should not/  exist.

However skos has two distinct ontologies with the same name.

-Timothy

[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Ontology_IRI_and_Version_IRI