Search Mailing List Archives
[protege-owl] Catalog of Ontology Modeling Issues
Yefim.Zhuk at salliemae.com
Wed Apr 14 15:09:17 PDT 2010
This is a good idea. Thank you for initiation,
From: protege-owl-bounces at mailman.stanford.edu [mailto:protege-owl-bounces at mailman.stanford.edu] On Behalf Of Michael F Uschold
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:35 PM
To: public-lod at w3.org; public-semweb-lifesci at w3.org; semantic-web at w3.org; topbraid-composer-users at googlegroups.com; protege-owl at mailman.stanford.edu; owl at gimli.mindlab.umd.edu; obo-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net; ontolog-forum at ontolog.cim3.net; public-media-annotation at w3.org; semantic_web at googlegroups.com; protege-discussion at mailman.stanford.edu
Subject: [protege-owl] Catalog of Ontology Modeling Issues
Dear Ontology Engineers,
Please forward this message to any other list that discusses ontology modeling issues.
WHAT: We invite your participation in collecting and sharing ontology modeling issues<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Main> and solutions on the Ontology Design Pattern Wiki<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki>. (ODP Wiki)
WHY: There is a ton of content about ontology modeling issues in discussion list archives, BUT:
1. the same issues get discussed over and over on different lists;
2. the information you want is hard to find;
3. if you do find a relevant thread,
* the content is raw and hard to digest;
* the summary you want is hard to find, even it is there.
1. there is no agreed place to go to find out about modeling issues;
2. it is often easier just to ask the question again, and the cycle continues.
We have created the ontology modeling issues<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Main> section in the ODP Wiki<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki> to address these problems.
HOW: We envision the following steps in the evolution of a modeling issue:
1. Lively discussion happens on some mailing list.
2. Post a summary to the list of the key points raised, including the pros and cons of proposed solutions.
3. Post a modeling issue on the ODP Wiki (based on that summary).
4. Post a note to any relevant discussion lists inviting them to contribute to the Wiki.
5. Discuss and refine the issue further in the ODP Wiki
6. Post major updates back to relevant discussion lists.
OR, start with step 3, and post the modeling issue directly on the ODP Wiki.
1. Visit Ontology Design Patterns Wiki<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/>
2. Click the "How to register<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Odp:Register>" link at lower left of the page; follow instructions to get a login name and password.
3. Visit the "Ontology Modeling Issues<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Main>" page for further information,examples and instructions.
Examples: (from discussion lists)
1. Proliferation of URIs, Managing Coreference<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Proliferation_of_URIs%2C_Managing_Coreference>
2. Overloading owl sameAs<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:GI_Overloading_owl_sameAs>
3. Versioning and URIs<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Versioning_and_URIs>
4. Representing Species<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:epresenting_Species>
5. Using SKOS Concept<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Using_SKOS_Concept>
6. Resource multiple attribution<http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Community:Resource_multiple_attribution>
The above issues were ones that I found by pouring over all the threads in the linking open data list from December 2009, plus some that I was directly involved from 2008. There are many others to be found from many other lists.
This work was originally supported by the NeOn project.<http://www.neon-project.org/>
Thanks very much,
This E-Mail has been scanned for viruses.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the protege-owl