[protege-owl] loading instance definitions in Manchester syntax

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 15 08:12:56 PDT 2010

On 04/14/2010 07:28 AM, Derrick McCain wrote:
> I am working with a group of uers that are not ontologists and do not have
> access to a a ont editor but need to provide some simple instance
> information based on my ontology. I woud like for them to use the Manchester
> syntax because of it's simplicy, but I don't know if there is a document
> reader availible to parse and add the instances to my ontology using the
> OWL/JENA API. Is ther support in a API to load information into a ontModel?

So I am not sure how the Manchester Syntax will help with providing
instance information - I may need a simple example.  I am interpreting
this as meaning that you are adding OWL individuals to an OWL ontology
but this interpretation may be wrong.

If you don't want them to have to worry about installing a ontology
tool, then our best offering is probably Web Protege [1] which will
allow users to edit an ontology with just a browser.  This tool will
also be better at editing the definitions of individuals.  Unfortunately
in Protege 4.1 we do not yet have an ideal tab for editing individual
data but hopefully this will change soon.

-Timothy

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/WebProtege