[protege-owl] loading instance definitions in Manchester syntax

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 15 10:15:50 PDT 2010

> First, thanks for the quick reply. I apologize for the imprecise
> question. The users will be experienced software developers that will
> create some simple individuals based on a published ontology
> specification, so the simpler the better. The intent is to then to
> send the resulting text to a restful service for inclusion into a rdf
> store. My reading to date on loading is that the Manchester syntax is
> not supported as a format that can be automatically  parse the and
> insert the OWL individuals into a rdf store. I would like to conform
> that this can NOT be done or how could this be achieved using either
> the OWL or Protégé APIs.

There is no reason why the right combination of tools could work with
the Manchester OWL syntax and a triple store.   To my knowledge the
Manchester OWL api [1] is the best tool for working with the Manchester
OWL syntax.  I am sure that this could be made to work with any triple
store though depending on your architecture this may not be the simplest
choice.

But we are getting into a tools discussion and your requirements are
important.  It seems to me that these requirements should drive both the
choice of tools and then the most natural data format.

Have you committed to a triple store on the server?  I think that there
are may already be some restful services that operate at the RDF level.
In fact I believe that Sesame has such a set of services.   Is there a
particular reason why the Manchester OWL syntax came up as a useful
approach?  Will you be saying complex things about OWL individuals (e.g.
giving an individual a type which is a class expression like

    mypizza hasType hasTopping>= 5 Thing

?  More likely I would guess that your assertions would simply be
property assertions like

    mypizza hasTopping myTopping.

Is the focus going to be RDF or OWL?   Is the information that you are
sending over the wire going to get more complicated (and OWL oriented)
as your project develops?  Will you be using some sort of OWL
tool/reasoner to validate your input on the server?

I tend to favor the Manchester OWL api in my work but that is partly
because much of my work is being done at the OWL level of abstraction.
The manchester owl syntax will work well with the OWL api.  Though in my
recent work on restful services I used OWL/XML with the OWL API.    If
you are simply sending object and data property assertions and you have
a triple store on the server then an RDF tool might be simpler.   If you
use an RDF tool then it will probably play a role in what syntax you
want to use to represent data (e.g. you might use rdf/xml syntax, turtle
or n3).

-Timothy

[1]http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/