[protege-owl] Problem with & loading an OWL XML

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Apr 16 12:47:59 PDT 2010

On Apr 16, 2010, at 1:43 AM, Erick Mendoza Moral wrote:

> Thank you again Timothy.
> Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know a parser supporting escape sequences should interpret '&' and '&' as the same characters, so, consequently, it should interpret "&xsd;minInclusive" and "&xsd;minInclusive" as the same tokens, isn't it?

No.  This has to be wrong.

Otherwise there would be absolutely no way for you to insert a literal "&" character in the text.  If the escape sequences were recursively expanded, then it would make no sense to even have the escape sequence "&" because it would always be treated exactly the same as "&".  And that would mean that you couldn't ever quote the ampersand character.

So the parser in this case is working correctly.  The problem is that you have created a syntactically incorrect input file.  So the input file will need to be corrected, since the parser is performing exactly according to the specification.

> Except that the parser substitute '&xsd;' for "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#" prior to interpret the escape sequence '&' as the character '&', but in that case it should have misinterpreted the rest of '&xsd;' sequences, and it didn't.

I would be surprised that the parser performed as you suggest.  Did the parser actually read the sequence "&xsd;" the same way as "&xsd;"?

> I attach the owl and dtd files, if you want to have a look at them, the conflicting escape sequences are in lines 654, 666, 678, 760 and 850.

I tried loading the ontology.owl file in Protege 3.4.4 and it gets a parse error on line 2 of your file.  So I doubt that anything can be happening beyond that.

You need to change your processing code to emit the correct character and not encode it the way you are doing.