[protege-owl] Modeling Question - OWL Role Chain

Albert Secure albertsecure at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 23:01:34 PDT 2010

Hi,

Though I have some initial success with modeling my food ontology (
http://protege-ontology-editor-knowledge-acquisition-system.136.n4.nabble.com/Going-beyond-pizza-td2017315.html
see previous post ) but when I use property chain for the class shouldTake
and shouldAvoid, I cannot made them disjoint any more, otherwise it will
give a reasoner error saying non-simple class cannot have disjoint.

If I make a person have both diseases 'diabetes' and 'hepatitis', and say
'alcohol' isGoodFor hepatitis but isBadFor diabetes, then the property
assertion would say he 'shoudAvoid alcohol' but there is also another
contradicting assertion say 'shouldTake alcohol', which is correct in logic,
but I want to make shouldTake and shouldAvoid disjoint so that both
assertiona do not appear at all.

Another thought - I notice that there is the 'negative object property
assertion' which might be able to solve such problem, but I cannot see how
they can be used - can't find any relevant documentation. Can any one give
some tips on how to model such negation so that I don't have shouldAvoid in
the first instance, just shouldTake should be sufficed and then have all the
negative items appear under the negative property assertion pane.

Albert