[protege-owl] agregated concepts

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Wed Apr 28 10:35:37 PDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 2:02 AM, selma selma wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm sorry, ma question was not clear. What I wanted to know is how
> to capture the semantic of "grouping" in an ontology,

Some of the semantics can be captured by using appropriate Properties,
such as memberOf or partOf to connect items.  But for aggregation
operations like the sum, min, etc. it will be a bit trickier.  Part of
the problem is that you will have the challenge of referring to the
appropriate properties.

> or how can we say that a class or a property can be aggregated.

Some of this can be handled through the use of restrictions with the
properties that you use to do things like memberOf or partOf.  For the
other aggregation operations, you could use metaclasses or annotation
properties to indicate which properties can be aggregated.  So, for
example, you could have a AnnotationProperty canBeAggregatedBy and
then have individuals that describe the operations you want.
Metaclasses will put you into OWL-Full, and since the annotation route
gives you more flexibility in specifying how you can aggregate, I
would go that route.

The actual computation of the aggregation will have to happen outside
the OWL language because it involves arithmetic operations that are
not available in OWL.  It will also involve some semantic mismatch,
since open world makes use of aggregation calculations a bit
problematic, since you can never be sure you know all the values.