[protege-owl] does protege allow this kind of check consistency?

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Apr 29 08:26:32 PDT 2010

On 29 Apr 2010, at 16:12, sop wrote:

> Hi everyone?
>
> I have been looking for owl class descriptions and i have doubts
> regarding
> the check consistency that is possible to perform in protege.
>
> suppose i have a class "book" with a datatype property "nr_pages".
>
> Is it possible to add restrictions like "nr_pages value 1" and
> "nr_pages
> value 2" in such a way that the classifier can see that this is an
> inconsistent class (never will have instances) has no instance can
> obey the
> two restricitons.

Sure, you can do this. But please bear in mind that a class forced to
have no instances is called unsatisfiable, whereas (in)consistency is
a property of ontologies. If O is inconsistent, then classification
becomes meaningless and standard reasoners usually produce an error
message. (There's paraconsistent reasoning though, but that's for a
new thread.) Unsatisfiability of a class C can be produced in many
different ways, for instance by saying that C is the subclass of two
disjoint classes, directly by saying C subClassOf owl:Nothing, or more
indirect ways ..... Unsatisfiability is sometimes called incoherence
too.

Cheers

Thomas