[protege-owl] does protege allow this kind of check consistency?

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Apr 29 08:52:05 PDT 2010

On 29 Apr 2010, at 16:45, sop wrote:

> Oh i get you point.
>
> But i want to go a little further than that and that´s what i don´t
> know the
> reasoner can do.
>
> Let me clarify for you.
>
> Suppose i want to transform a query into a owl class description
> just to see
> if the query can be satisfied (not obtain results).
>
> now suppose restriction 1 is "number of pages is 1" and the other
> restriction is "number of pages is 2". this query makes no sense as
> no book
> can have 1 page and, at the same time, 2 pages. Right?

Well, for us as humans it doesn't make sense to claim that a book has
exactly one and exactly two pages at the same time -- because we have
the background knowledge that no book can have two different numbers
of pages. If you're writing an ontology, you need to assert that
information as Timothy or I have suggested. The reasoner cannot make
any general-world inferences from the names of your properties because
it focusses on the logical structure of the ontology.

I still don't know which queries you mean and how you want to
translate them into class descriptions.

Cheers

Thomas