[protege-owl] does protege allow this kind of check consistency?

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Apr 29 09:07:58 PDT 2010

On 29 Apr 2010, at 17:00, Sara Paiva wrote:

> I am working on semantic validation of queries (imagine Google
> searches: "books which title is Da Vinci Code and which title is
> Digital Fortress). If they don´t make sense why perform them? They
> will always return empty results.
>
> Right know i am checking if owl has a way to check this form me
> through unstatisfiable classes.
>
> but from you help i am getting to the conclusion that is not possible.

It is possible, but you need to ask the query against some background
knowledge, for instance against an ontology that "knows" sufficiently
much about the world or at least the domain in which the queries are
expected to be asked. Such ontologies exist, but it depends on the
domain where to look for them. OWL by itself is a logic, and the
corresponding tools work independently of the domain and without
background knowledge.

Thomas