[protege-owl] import ontologies

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 06:11:32 PDT 2010

Hi Selma,

you can try to extract a module. For such a task you usually specify a
set of terms (signature) which you are interested in, and the module
for this signature will contain those of the ontology's axioms which
are relevant for those terms. There is a host of module extraction
approaches available, each of which conceives the term "relevant" in
its own way. Strong guarantees in terms of this relevance are provided
by locality-based modules. Currently, there is only a prototype of a
plugin for an older version of Protégé available that extracts
locality-based modules:

http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/2008/iswc-modtut/

However, we also host an up-to-date RESTful web service which takes
the ontology URI and the signature, and returns the module. It is
based on the module extraction package in the OWL API and lives here:

http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/modularity/

I'm happy to answer any questions about the usage of the tools or the
logical background, or explain the above mentioned guarantee more in
detail.

Cheers

Thomas