[protege-owl] Teaching OWL-2/OWL-3 with Protege 4.1

Patrick Browne patrick.browne at dit.ie
Thu Aug 12 01:00:21 PDT 2010

Hi,
I am trying to teach the current OWL-2 standard [1] and OWL-S[2] using
Protégé 4.1.  The basic idea is to use running examples to illustrate
the expressiveness of OWL-2/OWL-S in a Protégé environment. I do not
wish to develop or deploy programs. Ideally, Protégé 4.1 should provide
a one-stop-shop that could be used to teach all the features (or rough
approximations of them e.g. JESS) of OWL-2/OWL-S. This would avoid
having to set up different versions of Protégé to illustrate different
features. I am not sure how to what degree Protégé 4.1 supports OWL-2
sub-languages (or profiles?).

>From my previous postings to this list I have found that :
1) Earlier versions of Protégé are able to simulate OWL-RL with rule
based  JESS.
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.ontology.protege.owl/month=20100401
2) Earlier versions of Protégé can run OWL-S (OWLSTAB).
https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/protege-owl/2010-April/013923.html

My questions are:
1) Is it possible to run all the examples in the OWL-2 primer[1] in
Protégé 4.1.
2) Is it possible to run the examples in the OWL-S [2] in Protégé 4.1.
3) Are the various profiles supported (OWL-DL, OWL-RL, OWL-QL) in
Protégé 4.1?  Perhaps these could be approximated?
4) If the above are not supported could anyone suggest some optimum
Protégé version/configuration that could provide as near as possible a
one-stop-shop approach to teaching OWL-2/OWL-S

Thanks,
Pat

[1] OWL 2 Web Ontology Language Primer
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-primer/

[2] OWL-S: Semantic Markup for Web Services
http://www.w3.org/Submission/OWL-S/

This message has been scanned for content and viruses by the DIT Information Services E-Mail Scanning Service, and is believed to be clean. http://www.dit.ie