[protege-owl] Using rdf:resource which is not a Named Individual: protege 4.1 question

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 12 07:12:37 PDT 2010

> where the URI is not a Named Individual, but simply an RDF resource .

In the OWL 2.0 specification, the object that you are describing does
not exist.  Since it is named it must probably be an OWL entity which is
either a class, object property, data property, annotation property,
datatype, named individual.  You can see this list for yourself here
[1].   There is also the anonymous individual but this doesn't have a
name like your resource.

You might reply that there is also an rdf based semantics [2].  But this
is really an entirely different language and is not supported by most
OWL tools.  In the OWL 1 case, I know that there are papers that talk
about the mappings between OWL DL and OWL Full.   The correspondence is
not as simple as you might think.  I suspect that the only way to
support [2] is through an RDF editor.  There are plans to build one of
these for Protege 4 but this work has not started yet.

-Timothy

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Entities.2C_Literals.2C_and_Anonymous_Individuals
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-rdf-based-semantics-20091027/