[protege-owl] Teaching OWL-2/OWL-3 with Protege 4.1

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 12 07:50:43 PDT 2010

Protege 4.1 supports OWL 2.  The core mechanisms provide full support
for OWL 2 because they are based on the OWL API.  The GUI supports
almost everything in the OWL 2 specification

> My questions are:
> 1) Is it possible to run all the examples in the OWL-2 primer[1] in
> Protégé 4.1.

I think that the answer is yes.  It is not clear what is meant by "run"
but the Protege 4.1 gui is capable of expressing almost all the
constructs in OWL 2.

> 2) Is it possible to run the examples in the OWL-S [2] in Protégé 4.1.

My understanding of OWL-S is that it is an ontology expressed in OWL.
The link you gave is very rdf-y and suggests the possibility that OWL-S
includes some items that cannot be expressed in OWL.   But I believe
OWL-S is really an OWL ontology.

> 3) Are the various profiles supported (OWL-DL, OWL-RL, OWL-QL) in
> Protégé 4.1?  Perhaps these could be approximated?

OWL 2 Full is not supported but I think that in the OWL 2 world you will
find very few people who are using this language.  The other profiles
are subsets of OWL 2 and are thus supported.  The one thing that would
be nice to have in this context would be a tool that shows you what
profile you are in and help you stay inside it.  This hasn't been
implemented yet as far as I can tell.

> 4) If the above are not supported could anyone suggest some optimum
> Protégé version/configuration that could provide as near as possible a
> one-stop-shop approach to teaching OWL-2/OWL-S

I think that Protege 4.1 is your best shot.  Protege 3.* only handles
OWL 1.0.

-Timothy