[protege-owl] Query: Performance of SWRL

William Fitzgerald wfitzgerald at 4c.ucc.ie
Sun Aug 15 02:41:30 PDT 2010

Dear SWRL Experts.

Does anyone have any performance data regarding SWRL?

I notice that SWRL takes a long time when performing the transformation from OWL to Jess
("OWL+SWRL->Jess"). Running Jess ("Run Jess" button) is almost instantaneous after the previous
process.

For example, consider an ontology with 200 instances that will be compared with one another by
examining each of their property relationships. Each individual has 10 property relations in total.
Note, the 200 instances are the domain instances of the respective properties. There are other
instances (range) that form part of the ontology that are not those of the 200 under investigation.

If I write a SWRL rule that compares each individual of the 200 individuals with each other over a
4-tuple of property relations, the "OWL+SWRL->Jess" button will finish its process in a couple of
minutes or so.

However, if I write a SWRL rule that compares each individual of the 200 individuals over all
properties (10-tuple) then it takes much much longer!

Obviously the search space has increased.

Is the problem (time) solely about transforming the OWL model into a Jess model?
Is it a memory problem regarding Protege and Jess in general?

What is the typical or expected scalability of SWRL in your experience when it comes to the number
of individuals being compared/analysed and the number of property relationships by which the
comparison is being made.

Note, I am running the Protege 3.4 GUI, the latest version. Laptop has a Dual Core 2.4GHZ processor
and 3.4 GB ram.

regards,
Will.