[protege-owl] Query: Performance of SWRL

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 15 09:23:50 PDT 2010

The names of the steps are a little misleading. Transforming SWRL rules to Jess does more than simply generating a Jess representation of the rules and relevant OWL knowledge - it also builds a Rete [1] network for the rules. The final run step simply involves feeding facts through this network. The network construction task is expensive compared to the execution phase in Jess (and in other systems using the Rete algorithm).

I have not done rigorous scalability analyses yet (though have done quite a bit of optimization work) but am actually planning on doing some work on this task in the next few months.

Martin

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rete_algorithm