Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[protege-owl] Teaching OWL-2/OWL-3 with Protege 4.1

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 15 15:41:03 PDT 2010


> 2) I do not know how to do database connectivity in 4.1
>     I used ONTOBASE in Protege 3.4.4.
>    

This only works with Protege 3.*.  There is some work to implement the 
datamaster plugin but this is a bit different and isn't ready yet.

> 3) I do not know how use SPARQL query panel in 4.1  that I used in 3.4.4
>    

SPARQL is generally not a good match with OWL.  There is some work at 
Clark-Parsia on SPARQL-DL which handles the known problems but I don't 
know of a Protege plugin that provides this functionality.

-Timothy


> Regards,
> Pat
>
>
>
>
> Timothy Redmond wrote:
>    
>> Protege 4.1 supports OWL 2.  The core mechanisms provide full support
>> for OWL 2 because they are based on the OWL API.  The GUI supports
>> almost everything in the OWL 2 specification
>>
>>      
>>> My questions are:
>>> 1) Is it possible to run all the examples in the OWL-2 primer[1] in
>>> Protégé 4.1.
>>>
>>>        
>> I think that the answer is yes.  It is not clear what is meant by "run"
>> but the Protege 4.1 gui is capable of expressing almost all the
>> constructs in OWL 2.
>>
>>      
>>> 2) Is it possible to run the examples in the OWL-S [2] in Protégé 4.1.
>>>
>>>        
>> My understanding of OWL-S is that it is an ontology expressed in OWL.
>> The link you gave is very rdf-y and suggests the possibility that OWL-S
>> includes some items that cannot be expressed in OWL.   But I believe
>> OWL-S is really an OWL ontology.
>>
>>      
>>> 3) Are the various profiles supported (OWL-DL, OWL-RL, OWL-QL) in
>>> Protégé 4.1?  Perhaps these could be approximated?
>>>
>>>        
>> OWL 2 Full is not supported but I think that in the OWL 2 world you will
>> find very few people who are using this language.  The other profiles
>> are subsets of OWL 2 and are thus supported.  The one thing that would
>> be nice to have in this context would be a tool that shows you what
>> profile you are in and help you stay inside it.  This hasn't been
>> implemented yet as far as I can tell.
>>
>>      
>>> 4) If the above are not supported could anyone suggest some optimum
>>> Protégé version/configuration that could provide as near as possible a
>>> one-stop-shop approach to teaching OWL-2/OWL-S
>>>
>>>        
>> I think that Protege 4.1 is your best shot.  Protege 3.* only handles
>> OWL 1.0.
>>
>> -Timothy
>>
>>
>> On 08/12/2010 01:00 AM, Patrick Browne wrote:
>>      
>>> Hi,
>>> I am trying to teach the current OWL-2 standard [1] and OWL-S[2] using
>>> Protégé 4.1.  The basic idea is to use running examples to illustrate
>>> the expressiveness of OWL-2/OWL-S in a Protégé environment. I do not
>>> wish to develop or deploy programs. Ideally, Protégé 4.1 should provide
>>> a one-stop-shop that could be used to teach all the features (or rough
>>> approximations of them e.g. JESS) of OWL-2/OWL-S. This would avoid
>>> having to set up different versions of Protégé to illustrate different
>>> features. I am not sure how to what degree Protégé 4.1 supports OWL-2
>>> sub-languages (or profiles?).
>>>
>>>   From my previous postings to this list I have found that :
>>> 1) Earlier versions of Protégé are able to simulate OWL-RL with rule
>>> based  JESS.
>>> http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.ontology.protege.owl/month=20100401
>>> 2) Earlier versions of Protégé can run OWL-S (OWLSTAB).
>>> https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/protege-owl/2010-April/013923.html
>>>
>>>
>>> My questions are:
>>> 1) Is it possible to run all the examples in the OWL-2 primer[1] in
>>> Protégé 4.1.
>>> 2) Is it possible to run the examples in the OWL-S [2] in Protégé 4.1.
>>> 3) Are the various profiles supported (OWL-DL, OWL-RL, OWL-QL) in
>>> Protégé 4.1?  Perhaps these could be approximated?
>>> 4) If the above are not supported could anyone suggest some optimum
>>> Protégé version/configuration that could provide as near as possible a
>>> one-stop-shop approach to teaching OWL-2/OWL-S
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Pat
>>>
>>> [1] OWL 2 Web Ontology Language Primer
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-primer/
>>>
>>> [2] OWL-S: Semantic Markup for Web Services
>>> http://www.w3.org/Submission/OWL-S/
>>>
>>> This message has been scanned for content and viruses by the DIT
>>> Information Services E-Mail Scanning Service, and is believed to be
>>> clean. http://www.dit.ie
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> protege-owl mailing list
>>> protege-owl at lists.stanford.edu
>>> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl
>>>
>>> Instructions for unsubscribing:
>>> http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03
>>>
>>>        
>> _______________________________________________
>> protege-owl mailing list
>> protege-owl at lists.stanford.edu
>> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl
>>
>> Instructions for unsubscribing:
>> http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03
>>      
>
> This message has been scanned for content and viruses by the DIT Information Services E-Mail Scanning Service, and is believed to be clean. http://www.dit.ie
> _______________________________________________
> protege-owl mailing list
> protege-owl at lists.stanford.edu
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl
>
> Instructions for unsubscribing: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03
>    




More information about the protege-owl mailing list