[protege-owl] plugin-development: Working with multiple OWL Files

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 16 09:00:34 PDT 2010

If I understand what you are trying to do then this would be possible in
Protege 4.1 but not in Protege 3.*.

My understanding from your description is that

   1. Protege is editing ontology A
   2. the user opens your tab and an ontology B is created that imports A
   3. you want to see changes in A in the ontology B.

In Protege 4.1 this will work.  Essentially you need to use the same
ontology manager for both ontologies.  In fact, I am planning on using a
variation of this technique to close a gforge ticket and I think there
was another user on the mailing list who was doing this.

In Protege 3.* it is not clear how to arrange that updates to A will be
seen in B.

But I am bit uncertain about the terminology.  If you actually meant that

   1. Protege is editing ontology B
   2. the user opens your tab and an ontology A is created that is
      imported by B
   3. you want to see changes in A in the ontology B.

then this will work in Protege 3.*.  Note that in this case the user
editing the ontology will see your import in the regular Protege tabs.
-Timothy