[protege-owl] plugin-development: Working with multiple OWL Files

Rita Marnau rma at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Tue Aug 17 00:42:38 PDT 2010

Hi Timothy,

thanks for your answer.

Actually I mean this (your first guess):

    1. Protege is editing ontology A
    2. the user opens your tab and an ontology B is created that imports A
    3. you want to see changes in A in the ontology B.

I don't want to change the user's ontology (A), so that he won't get a probleme when he opens protege the next time without my tab.
This iswhy I use another ontology in my tab (B) and import the ontology edited by protege (A).
I am using Protege 3.4.4 You wrote that it would be possible in Protege 4.1. How this is reallized in  4.1 ?  Any ideas for a workaround in 3.x ?
What does it mean to use the same ontology manager?
My only idea so far is to reimport ontology A each time my tab gets the focus. But this is not very practical for large ontologies.

Rita

---------------------------------------

If I understand what you are trying to do then this would be possible in
Protege 4.1 but not in Protege 3.*.

My understanding from your description is that

    1. Protege is editing ontology A
    2. the user opens your tab and an ontology B is created that imports A
    3. you want to see changes in A in the ontology B.

In Protege 4.1 this will work.  Essentially you need to use the same
ontology manager for both ontologies.  In fact, I am planning on using a
variation of this technique to close a gforge ticket and I think there
was another user on the mailing list who was doing this.

In Protege 3.* it is not clear how to arrange that updates to A will be
seen in B.

But I am bit uncertain about the terminology.  If you actually meant that

    1. Protege is editing ontology B
    2. the user opens your tab and an ontology A is created that is
       imported by B
    3. you want to see changes in A in the ontology B.

then this will work in Protege 3.*.  Note that in this case the user
editing the ontology will see your import in the regular Protege tabs.