[protege-owl] plugin-development: Working with multiple OWL Files

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 17 07:43:52 PDT 2010

> Actually I mean this (your first guess):
>
>     1. Protege is editing ontology A
>     2. the user opens your tab and an ontology B is created that imports A
>     3. you want to see changes in A in the ontology B.
>

> I don't want to change the user's ontology (A), so that he won't get a probleme when he opens protege the next time without my tab.
> This iswhy I use another ontology in my tab (B) and import the ontology edited by protege (A).
> I am using Protege 3.4.4 You wrote that it would be possible in Protege 4.1. How this is reallized in  4.1 ?

In Protege 4.1 you can essentially just do this.  You would create an
in-memory ontology that imports the ontology being edited.  You would be
working with an API that is incompatible with the Protege 3 OWL api.  If
you want to make a Protege 4.1 plugin, there are several development
documents that you could look at [1].

> Any ideas for a workaround in 3.x ?

Not really.  I had thought of doing the import in the opposite direction
but this would be seen by the Protege user.  You could probably prevent
the fake import from being saved though by intercepting the save request.

> What does it mean to use the same ontology manager?

The ontology manager is an OWL api (owlapi.sourceforge.net) concept.  It
allows for the management of a collection of related ontologies.  Often
the ontologies consist of an ontology and all its direct and indirect
imports.

> My only idea so far is to reimport ontology A each time my tab gets the focus. But this is not very practical for large ontologies.

And this won't work unless you save A first.

-Timothy

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege4DevDocs