[protege-owl] merging ontologies

Sush Pokharel pokharelsush at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 05:01:46 PDT 2010

Hello,

I am trying to do some exercise on merging ontologies. Will anybody tell me how can I input those ontologies and merge them in protege 3.4.4.
Following is the questions on merging ontologies.

In English, size is the feature that distinguishes "river "from "stream ". In French, a "fleuve" is a river that flows into the sea, and a "riviéere" is a river or a stream that runs into another river. These two linguistic contexts, French and English, each of which has two concepts can be represented as two ontologies in Protégé.
Each ontology has three instances, as shown in the following table;

English            river    stream
Mississippi       1         0
ohio                 1         0
Captina            0         1

French           fleuve  riviéere
Rhone            1          0
Saone             0         1
Roubion          0         1

Suppose it is known that the corresponding rows of the two tables have the same conceptual properties, e.g., that the Mississippi is a fleuve but not a riviére, that the Saone is a river but not a stream, etc.  Your are required to make these two ontologies  in Protégé. Then you should investigate how they could be merged using the ontology merging features of Protégé.

Regards,
Sushma