[protege-owl] Inverse properties

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Aug 27 04:17:45 PDT 2010

On 26 Aug 2010, at 19:33, ali.hassan at telecom-bretagne.eu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use inverse properties to build a model.
> I have three concepts:
> W, S, and P. all disjoint.
> and one property: 'connectTo'.
>
> S has the following restriction:
> there exist connectTo W
>
> P has the following restriction:
> there exist connectTo W
>
> W has the following restriction:
> <= 1 connectTo  (number restriction)
>
> I expect the reasoner to issue an error since W will have two
> connecTo relations, while it is allowed at max one.

Have you said that W, S and P have instances? Otherwise your ontology
can be satisfied by W having no instances, or by S having no instances
and P having one instance.

> The reasoner (pallet and FaCT++, with protege 3.4 and 4.0) does not
> complain!!

They're right as long as nothing in your ontology enforces W, S and P
to have any instances.

> Surprisingly, the reasoner will issue an error if we place the
> connectTo restriction in the W description.

By "error", do you mean an inconsistency is reported? IMO there need
to be other statements about W, S, P, or connectTo in your ontology
then.(?)

> This supposed to make no difference since connectTo is reflexive, ie
> p connectTo W is completely equivalent to W connectTO p!!!(I suppose)

Do you mean reflexive or symmetric? Your argument only works for
symmetric properties, not reflexive.

Thomas