[protege-owl] Creating a class (DL)

Thomas Russ tar at isi.edu
Mon Aug 30 10:35:04 PDT 2010

On Aug 28, 2010, at 3:20 AM, An C. Tran wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am reading DL and would like to create class by using DL idea.
> However, I do not know how to describe it in DL and Protege either.
> Would you please to help me with this.
>
> Support that a have the following Classes and Properties (Data/
> Object):
>
> 1. Class:
>        Activity
>        Timepoint
> 2. Object properties:
>        hasStartTime:  Activity hasStartTime Timepoint
>        hasNormalStartTime: Activity hasNormalStartTime TimePoint
>        after: TimePoint after TimePoint
>        before: TimePoint before TimePoint
>
> Now, I would like to create a class named AbnormalActivity as follow:
>    "An AbnormalActivity is an Activity that hasStartTime after its
> normal start time"
> using the above classes and properties.
>
> Actually, I have ever defined it by using rule (SWRL). However, I
> want to do it by DL now.

You can't.

In general, OWL does not have the expressive power to describe a class
where there is a restriction between the fillers of two different
properties.

See a discussion of this issue at http://protege-ontology-editor-knowledge-acquisition-system.136.n4.nabble.com/Help-with-a-Restriction-td2020809.html

The issue is that one cannot use the ObjectHasSelf restriction in OWL
2.0 with composite object properties, and one would need to use a
property chain (a type of composite object property) in order to
express the restriction you want.

So you can't say this in the OWL DL.