[protege-owl] constructs that make reasoning slow

Dr. Daniel Schober schober at imbi.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Aug 31 02:46:13 PDT 2010

Dear DL reasoning experts,

I wonder if there are investigations in what constructs in OWL 2 RL are
particulary reasoning intensive / time costly for DL reasoners like
HermIT, Pellet and RACER.

The current expressivity of our ontology (DCO) is SRIF(D). Hermit
already takes ~2 minutes to classify DCO including BioTop on an average PC.

Could anyone point me to a list of things that can be simplified in an
owl DL ontology to make reasoning faster ? Ideally it would be some
guideline that can be understood by non-DL experts (ontology engineers
in the biomedical domain) as well ;-) .

The table illustrates the statistics of DCO and its imported BioTop
level ontology:

*Ontology elements and axioms*

*Count (all)*

*DCO*

*BioTop*

Classes

1281

965

375

Object Properties (relations)

78

3

74

Datatype Properties

11

10

0

Subclass Axioms

1494

1050

444

Equivalent Class Axioms

197

98

99

Disjoint Axioms

76

1

75

Cheers, Daniel Schober.

   Dr. Daniel Schober
   Universitätsklinikum
   Institut für Medizinische Biometrie und Medizinische Informatik
   Stefan-Meier-Strasse  26	Raum 6
   D-79104 Freiburg		Germany
   Tel: +49 (0)761 2036807	FAX: +49 (0)761 2036711