[protege-owl] Inference of class type based on keyword andModeling data types

Saiprasad, Sundar Sundar_Saiprasad at intuit.com
Sat Jan 2 01:06:36 PST 2010

Thanks Thomas R.
Equivalence or the reverse action is good. That worked. Regarding Thomas
S's point , I had responded as to why I need to model it this way. Here
is the note
--------------

Thomas

Thanks a ton for your response. My use case is a bit unique. The animal
example is an analogy for my actual use case and let me try to explain
it better. I will get a unique URI for an individual and a bunch of
keywords as input.  These keywords can be something like "Lion" ,
"Brown" , "500Kg" etc. I will get a bunch of keywords for each
individual. There can be many individuals. The keywords are available as
"hasKeyword" property from the individual.

I have a base class called Animal in my ontology and assume that the
first individual that I get as input has the URI urn:animal1234. I know
for sure that urn:annimal1234 is of type test:Animal. Every individual
is of type test:Animal.  There are subclasses of Animal like Carnivore ,
BrownAnimals , HeavyAnimals etc. Based on the keywords that I get for
each individual , each individual becomes a member of these subclasses
too. Your point is very valid. I can create something like the following

Test:CarnivoreText owl:equivalent [ a owl:Restriction ;
                                  Owl:onProperty  Test:hasKeyword ;
                                  Owl:hasValue "Lion" ]

Test:CarnivoreText rdfs:subclassof Test:Carnivore

This would mean if I get a keyword Lion for the individual , it will
also infer that the individual is a subclass of Carnivore.

Similar associations can be created for BrownAnimals and other classes
too.

I would like to know if there is a way to list a bunch of keywords that
I can have as an enumerated datatype and if one of it matches , then the
class association is made.

Basically , I don't want my application to code these rules and make the
associations. I want to express it in the data itself

Thanks
Sundar