[protege-owl] looking for a good owl pattern

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Jan 4 04:15:40 PST 2010

On 4 Jan 2010, at 12:38, AlexJ wrote:

> sorry for that gap in discussion :) it was a very long turkey coma )))
> well, it is a big lure to use OWL Full and connect individuals
> directly to
> classes... but as far as I understand I would not be able to use
> reasoners
> ... forgive me for some fool questions but, starting from the very
> beginning, if I used OWL DL and reasoner, would I have any other
> benefits
> except having my OWL file consistent?

Yes, you'd get all sorts of other consequences out of it:

* If you say that every duck is a bird and every bird is an animal,
the reasoner would conclude that every duck is an animal. OK, this
trivial entailment is already inferred without the use of a reasoner,
but how about the next one:

* If you say that every duck has a wing and every wing is a body part,
then the reasoner will conclude that every duck has a body part -- if
you ask politely.

* If you say that every duck has a wing, that every wing contains
tissue, and that the concatenation of "hasPart" and "contains" is a
subproperty of "contains", then the reasoner will conclude that every
duck contains tissue.

These entailments are still relatively simple. In general, entailments
and finding their reasons can become so complex that separate
justification services are needed (more pointers on request).

> And would I still be able to use
> Protege for maintaining my OWL?

Sure.

> Are there any other logical/match tools which might get some
> additional
> knowledge out of my OWL?

There are. It depends on what kind of inferred knowledge you're after.

Cheers

Thomas

> Thomas Russ wrote:
>>

>> On Nov 24, 2009, at 5:52 AM, AlexJ wrote:
>>

>>> can anybody advise a good OWL pattern or at least point me at a
>>> right place:)
>>> for the following problem:
>>> there is a need to integrate some educational resources, lets call
>>> them
>>> Articles under different views like by Knowledge Areas, Alphabetical
>>> etc.
>>> So, I created the Classes as follows:
>>>
>>> Article
>>> DeepProfessionalArticles