[protege-owl] ordered lists in OWL

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at
Wed Jan 6 08:09:54 PST 2010

2010/1/6 Timothy Redmond <tredmond at>

>  To model in OWL a route through several cities, I do not know what is good
>> practice: use rdf:List , or rdf:Seq , or something else .
> You are thinking at the rdf level of abstraction and not the owl level.  If
> you use rdf:List or rdf:Seq then you will have an owl full specification.
>  Reasoners generally will not work and it is very likely that the meaning of
> the ontology will not be the same for each reader.
> Nick Drummond has given several presentations where he has described how to
> do what you want in OWL and exactly what you can say in OWL.  A quick google
> search gives the powerpoint presentation [1] where he describes the
> approach.  There is also an ontology that you can find here [2].
> -Timothy
> [1]
> [2]

Thanks a lot Timothy .

So what I did is import the OWL List ontology from the generic URL

and particularize the class OWLList as a list of cities, by two
owl:Restrictions :

Itinerary equivalentTo
  hasContents only City
  and OWLList
  and isFollowedBy only Itinerary

As exemplified in :

What I regret is that the OWL List ontology is not a standard ontology , but
it's not a big deal.

Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,
Rule-based programming, Semantic Web
+33 (0)6 89 16 29 52 -- +33 (0)1 39 55 58 16
( we rarely listen to voice messages, please send a mail instead )