[protege-owl] ordered lists in OWL

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 08:09:54 PST 2010

2010/1/6 Timothy Redmond <tredmond at stanford.edu>

>  To model in OWL a route through several cities, I do not know what is good
>> practice: use rdf:List , or rdf:Seq , or something else .
>>
> You are thinking at the rdf level of abstraction and not the owl level.  If
> you use rdf:List or rdf:Seq then you will have an owl full specification.
>  Reasoners generally will not work and it is very likely that the meaning of
> the ontology will not be the same for each reader.
>
> Nick Drummond has given several presentations where he has described how to
> do what you want in OWL and exactly what you can say in OWL.  A quick google
> search gives the powerpoint presentation [1] where he describes the
> approach.  There is also an ontology that you can find here [2].
>
> -Timothy
>
> [1]
> http://www.co-ode.org/resources/tutorials/bio/slides/owl-lists29_11_05.ppt
> [2] http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/lists/2008/09/11/list.owl

Thanks a lot Timothy .

So what I did is import the OWL List ontology from the generic URL
http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/lists/list.owl

and particularize the class OWLList as a list of cities, by two
owl:Restrictions :

Itinerary equivalentTo
  hasContents only City
  and OWLList
  and isFollowedBy only Itinerary

As exemplified in :
http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/lists/examples/motif-example.owl

What I regret is that the OWL List ontology is not a standard ontology , but
it's not a big deal.

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,