[protege-owl] ordered lists in OWL

Alejandra Gonzalez-Beltran alejandra.gonzalez.beltran at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 6 08:23:49 PST 2010

2010/1/6 Jean-Marc Vanel <jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com>

> 2010/1/6 Timothy Redmond <tredmond at stanford.edu>
>

>>  To model in OWL a route through several cities, I do not know what is
>>> good practice: use rdf:List , or rdf:Seq , or something else .
>>>
>> You are thinking at the rdf level of abstraction and not the owl level.
>>  If you use rdf:List or rdf:Seq then you will have an owl full
>> specification.  Reasoners generally will not work and it is very likely that
>> the meaning of the ontology will not be the same for each reader.
>>
>> Nick Drummond has given several presentations where he has described how
>> to do what you want in OWL and exactly what you can say in OWL.  A quick
>> google search gives the powerpoint presentation [1] where he describes the
>> approach.  There is also an ontology that you can find here [2].
>>
>> -Timothy
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.co-ode.org/resources/tutorials/bio/slides/owl-lists29_11_05.ppt
>> [2] http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/lists/2008/09/11/list.owl

In case you haven't found it, further to the references that Timothy
provided, there is a paper describing the list pattern:

Drummond, N., Rector, A.L., Stevens, R., Moulton, G., Horridge, M., Wang, H,
Seidenberg, J. *Putting OWL in Order: Patterns for Sequences in OWL*, in 2nd
OWL Experiences and Directions Workshop, Athens, GA

http://www.webont.org/owled/2006/acceptedLong/submission_12.pdf

Alejandra