[protege-owl] looking for a good owl pattern

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Jan 6 10:50:36 PST 2010

On 4 Jan 2010, at 16:23, AlexJ wrote:

> well, what is always confusing me is how to link all of that to
> practical
> use... It looks like very atomizing and to be vety hard to extract new
> useful knowledge.
> For instance, sticking to my original example (a number of articles
> linked
> to some Knowledge Areas), all I can infer from that ontology is the
> fact of
> belonging of an article to a branch of knowledge and that is all I
> can. I
> probably can also add some more properties like hasReference (Article
> hasReference Article) or hasAuthor (Article hasAuthor some Author).
> What advantages may I have using DL here?  Linking to your Ducks and
> Wings,
> shall I add more detail like to split the boiling area to water,
> bubbles
> etc, wouldn't it be too much?

Well, your original example consists of a class hierarchy together
with class/property assertions for individuals. Reasoning over such a
structure is quite easy (almost boringly so) and doesn't need full-
fledged OWL reasoners. In fact, this structure only uses some of OWL's
expressivity. As soon as you bring in more complex axioms (and my duck-
bird-etc example was only the beginning), ... reasoning becomes more
complex. Whether you need more complex axioms depends on what you want
to express. If a class hierarchy suffices, that's fine.

Cheers

Thomas