[protege-owl] Convert a large ontology (e.g. Gene Ontology) to OWL 2 XML

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at
Thu Jan 7 15:29:15 PST 2010

Dear all,

  I would like to do some testing with a large OWL ontology in the OWL 2 XML
serialization.  Therefore I thought, why not download the Gene Ontology (which
is not yet available in that serialization – is there any large ontology that
is?) and convert it?  I downloaded and then
tried to figure out how to convert it.  I don't want to write my own converter
using the OWL API, and I'm not aware of any existing command-line conversion
tool (is there any?), so I tried to open it in Protégé.  But the ontology is a
file of more than 60 MB, and consequently, Protégé 4.0 ran out of heap space
when trying to open it.  What approach would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Christoph Lange, Jacobs Univ. Bremen,, Skype duke4701