[protege-owl] Convert a large ontology (e.g. Gene Ontology) to OWL 2 XML

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Thu Jan 7 15:29:15 PST 2010

Dear all,

  I would like to do some testing with a large OWL ontology in the OWL 2 XML
serialization.  Therefore I thought, why not download the Gene Ontology (which
is not yet available in that serialization – is there any large ontology that
is?) and convert it?  I downloaded
http://archive.geneontology.org/latest-termdb/go_daily-termdb.owl.gz and then
tried to figure out how to convert it.  I don't want to write my own converter
using the OWL API, and I'm not aware of any existing command-line conversion
tool (is there any?), so I tried to open it in Protégé.  But the ontology is a
file of more than 60 MB, and consequently, Protégé 4.0 ran out of heap space
when trying to open it.  What approach would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Christoph