[protege-owl] Complement Classes

Adonis Damian adonis at recognos.com
Thu Jan 7 16:02:32 PST 2010

Hi All,

I trying to figure out how complements and open world reasoning work.

Here is a simple example:

I have a

CalssA

                ClassAWithName - which should be the individuals of ClassA
which have a property "name"

                ClassAWithoutName - which should be the complement of
ClassAWithName - the individuals that don't have a property "name"

How should I model ClassAWithName and ClassAWithoutName so individuals with
property name will be inferred under ClassAWithName and individuals without
property "name" will be inferred under ClassAWithoutName?

The problem that I see is that if for an individual i_1, the "name" property
is not asserted then doesn't mean the it doesn't have the "name" property.
Meaning that the inference engine doesn't see that i_1 doesn't has property
name as provable false but only satisfiable false.

Thank you so much for your help,

Adonis