[protege-owl] Complement Classes

Adonis Damian adonis at
Fri Jan 8 15:36:08 PST 2010

Hi Leyla,

Your solution works for half of the situations. Only the individuals that
have name will be categorized as Class1_WithName but the individuals without
name won’t be categorized as Class1_NoName. The reason is that the inference
engine has a model that says the an individual without name may have a name,
because is not asserted or can’t infer that it doesn’t have name.

So again, how do I need to model these classes so individuals with name will
be categorized as Calss1_WithName and individual without name will be
categorized as Class1_NoName.

Thank you,

From: protege-owl-bounces at
[mailto:protege-owl-bounces at] On Behalf Of Leyla Jael
García Castro
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 2:49 AM
To: protege owl
Subject: Re: [protege-owl] Complement Classes

Hi Adonis,

Open world reasoning is always hard to grasp for me so I am not completely
sure about my answer.

I think in the case you present, ValuePartion patter would help (it is
explained in the Pizza Tutorial). If you say

Class1 --> Union of (Class1_WithName, Class1_NoName)

    Class1_WithName --> Disjoint with Class1_NoName

    Class1_NoName --> Disjoint with Class1_WithName

and you have and individual_1 with type Class1 and with a name, it will be
asserted to be also Class1_WithName but not Class1_NoName.

I hope it helps.