[protege-owl] Consistency reasoning in two aligned ontologies

Miroslav Liska miro at ontologia.sk
Sun Jan 10 07:46:02 PST 2010

Dear all,

I would like to ask you two very general questions about consistency
reasoning between two aligned ontologies. For example, I have these two
ontologies:

Ontology 1 (<http://www.ontologia.sk/ontology1.owl>
  Class(C1.1)
  Class(C1.2)
  SubClassOf (C1.2 C1.1))

Ontology 2 (<http://www.ontologia.sk/ontology1.owl>
  Class(C2.1)
  Class(C2.2)
  DisjointClasses(C2.1, C2.2))

And mapping between Ontologies are (setted manually):

EquivalentClasses(C1.1, C2.1)
EquivalentClasses(C1.2, C2.2)

screenshot<http://www.ontologia.sk/mappings.jpg>
ontology<http://www.ontologia.sk/mappings.owl>

My questions are:

a. Is it possible to obtain result "Inconsistent" (because C2.1 and C2.2
are disjointed) with Protege (or in other tool) in some way?

(I have installed PROMPT plugin into Protege 3.4beta, but I'can use
generated ontology of mappings for checking consistency of these two
ontologies. It looks like I have to merge ontology1, ontology2 and mappings
ontology and then run consisteny verification. But this solution seems to
me awkward, because I think the problem of consistency validation of
aligned ontologies is very general).

b. It is possible to set alignment mappings between two entities with
Description Logic such as:
C1.1 = C2.1 and (relation1 some C2.N) and also then use again consistency
validation?

Thank you very much for your advices.
Miro