[protege-owl] OWL 2 profile checker in "Ontology metrics"

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at
Mon Jan 11 05:33:42 PST 2010

Hi Thomas,

> if you don't mind checking the profile programmatically, you can use the
> interface OWLProfile in the OWL API and its implementing classes
> OWL2DLProfile, OWL2ELProfile, OWL2Profile, OWL2QLProfile, OWL2RLProfile for
> this purpose.

Thanks for your help!  It was not completely straightforward, as the
"profiles" subproject was not yet part of the Maven configuration, and there
was a broken class (ELPlusPlusProfile) in there.  (I will report this as a
bug.)  But then I made it work using the code below.  However, I also found
out that the web service at serves
my needs.

OWLOntologyManager manager = OWLManager.createOWLOntologyManager();
URI physicalURI = URI.create("...");
OWLOntology ontology = manager.loadOntologyFromPhysicalURI(physicalURI);
RLProfile rp = new RLProfile();
OWLProfileReport opr = rp.checkOntology(ontology, manager);

Christoph Lange, Jacobs Univ. Bremen,, Skype duke4701