[protege-owl] SWRL Advantages

Thomas Schneider schneidt at
Tue Jan 12 00:50:54 PST 2010

As Kendall Clark pointed out on the Pellet mailing list, the SWRL FAQ
page might help as well:

(Just thought I'd share this for those who aren't on the other list.)

On 11 Jan 2010, at 22:39, Thomas Russ wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2010, at 1:52 PM, Rodolfo Rieckhof wrote:
>> Hello,
>> i am new to OWL, SWRL and would like to know what advantages have
>> SWRL over OWL if any. One more question that i have would be, is
>> there anything that i can only specify in SWRL but not in OWL ? i
>> would appreciate a little example about this one.
> SWRL adds additional expressive power.
> One example of that is expressing constraints across fillers of two
> different properties.  For example, "a Person whose boss is his
> brother" is not something that can be written in OWL, since it is a
> constraint between fillers of two different properties.  You can,
> however, express this constraint using SWRL.
> Some other examples are constraints that involve numeric bounds on
> datatype properties in OWL 1.0 (possible in OWL 2.0).  Also, any
> constraints that involve a computation.

|  Dr Thomas Schneider                    schneider (at)  |
|  School of Computer Science  |

Jubones (pl.n.)
   Awful things bought in Nairobi which never look good at home.