[protege-owl] SWRL Advantages

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 12 02:38:11 PST 2010

SWRL was designed to add additional expressivity to OWL. It was not
designed to replace OWL - it's goal was to complement it. Initially this
additional expressivity came at the expense of decidability but a
so-called DL-Safe interpretation can be employed when executing rules
that provides decidability. A discussion of DL-Safety can be found in
the FAQ:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLLanguageFAQ#nid9VC

In general, if something can be expressed directly in OWL then OWL
should be used. There are exceptions, however. In many cases, a SWRL
rule can provide more concise and understandable formulations than OWL,
which may instead require a set of not-obviously-related axioms
distributed throughout an ontology to make equivalent statements. As
mentioned, OWL 2 provides property chains that can be used to express a
type of property linkage that OWL 1 did not support and that can in some
cases be used in express relationships that would previously have
required SWRL. However, property chains in OWL 2 are not as
straightforward as one might expect and have some non obvious usage
restrictions - so SWRL may still be used profitably here.

Martin