[protege-owl] Protégé-owl quetions?

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Wed Jan 13 10:08:00 PST 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 1:41 AM, kheireddine Houa wrote:

> Hello sir,
> I'have 2 questions about ontolgy and developemnt.
>
> Q1: My interest is to develop(create) an ontology with the RDF/XML
> standard.
> I’m using Jena after to query this ontology (rdf file) to extract
> information from this file(ontology).
> I’m using eclipse to use Jena (RDQL) for this. Is it possible to
> use Jena with protégé in order to query this file and extract
> information?

Yes, it should be possible.

> I have developed the ontology with Protégé_3.3.1 version.  And I
> would like to work with the new version of Protégé, is it possible
> to open the ontology in the new version,

Yes, you can open the file.  In Protege 4 you would just open the
*.owl file instead of the *.pprj file.

> what do suggest to me to work with which version of Protégé-owl?

That depends on whether you need OWL 2.0 features or not.  If you
need them you should use Protege 4.

Otherwise it really depends on which interface you like best.  The
version 3 interface is more frame-like, the version 4 is description
logic oriented.  Oftentimes we have discovered that more casual users
prefer the frame-like interface of version 3 rather than the logic-
oriented interface from Protege 4.  You should try both and use the
one you find most natural.

> Q2: what’s the difference between Protégé-OWL & Protégé-Frames?

They use different representation languages.
   http://protege.stanford.edu/overview/protege-owl.html
   http://protege.stanford.edu/overview/protege-frames.html